Loudoun Castle Theme Park in Ayrshire, Scotland was opened in 1995 and was situated amongst the ruins of Loudoun Castle in Galston. In 2010 the park was closed and left abandoned after the company in charge of operating it ran out of money. The owner, Henk Bembom’s Parkware Ltd, stated at the time that the park was no longer economically viable and efforts were made to sell it as a going concern, however this never came to pass and some of the rides were moved to Lightwater Valley Theme Park while others were put up for sale. There are no plans to re-open the park and it remains in its abandoned state.
During the period it was open to the public, the theme park had 3 rollercoasters and a number of other rides, some of which were moved from Margate and can be seen in an episode of Only Fools And Horses (The Jolly Boys Outing). The following is a list of rides from the park’s Wikipedia page –
- Twist n’ Shout – a classic looping Schwarzkopf Silverarrow
- The Rat – a Maurer Söhne Wild Mouse
- Wacky Worm – a junior coaster by I. E. Park:
- Barnstormer – a 140-foot-tall (43 m) shot-and-drop tower built by S&S Power. Re-located from the defunct Pleasureland Southport, the ride was officially opened on 23 May 2006 by The MacDonald Brothers.
- Loggers Leap – Loudoun’s original log flume
- Black Pearl – an inverting Pirate ship. Relocated to Lightwater Valley.
- The Captains Wheel – an Enterprise ride. Relocated to Avonturenpark Hellendoorn.
- The Plough – the largest Chair-O-Planes ride in the world (originally operated as The Apollo ride at Margate)
- The Crow’s Nest – a HUSS Troika
- The Milk Churn – a HUSS Round-Up ride – Scrapped
- HMS Flora McDougal – a HUSS Swinging Ship ride. Relocated to Lightwater Valley.
The following YouTube videos are from Abandoned Scotland which has wonderful videos and pictures of abandoned places in the UK and around the world. Urban explorers seem to have taken delight in visiting the abandoned theme park in recent years and many of their videos and pictures can be seen online
Location: Ayeshire, Scotland
Category: Theme Park
For more pictures visit: http://lost-in-time-ue.nl