This abandoned canal barge is located in Killucan in Westmeath, Ireland. The town of Killucan prospered in the late 1800s and early 1900s due to the transport links to Dublin with both the Royal Canal and Sligo-Dublin railway passing through the area. The area received a second lease of life in the Celtic Tiger years when it became part of Dublin’s outer commuter belt.
Killucan reached the height of its prosperity during the 18th and 19th centuries due to the arrival of first the Royal Canal in 1805 and later the Midland Great Western Railway. The canal was built between 1790 and 1817, reaching Killucan from Dublin in 1805. It grew in importance transporting people and goods until the mid-19th century. After this the advent of rail and road travel in Ireland led to its slow decline and it formally closed in 1961. It was abandoned and became unusable for many years. Nowadays thanks to the Royal Canal Amenity Group it has been restored for leisure boats from Dublin to Abbeyshrule in Co. Longford.
Location: Killucan, Westmeath, Ireland