Disney’s River Country opened in Orlando, Florida in 1976 as part of the Walt Disney World complex, the first waterpark built at the resort. River Country was themed around a rustic wilderness old-fashioned swimming hole similar to Thunder Mountain and Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom.
The park had a sandy bottom to it’s pools and used water pumped into a lagoon from the nearby Bay Lake. The park was much smaller than Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon, the other waterparks in Walt Disney World and was closed in 2001. It was announced in 2005 that the park would not be re-opening and has been left abandoned. It is unknown what Disney plan to do with the site. As for now it is just an overgrown, dishevelled site. It is hardly recognizable as a place that once thrived, where happy families and children made lifetime memories. It seems that once the gate closed on River Country, they didn't open it back up. Not even to weed or maintain the nature that now had taken over.
The below YouTube video shows the water park as it is now while many more videos and pictures exist of River Country in both it’s past and present state. The park remains abandoned.
The following is a list of attractions in the park before it’s closure (from Wikipedia) -
- Whoop 'n' Holler Hollow, two water slides, 260 ft (79 m) and 160 ft (49 m) long that emptied into Bay Cove
- Bay Cove, a half-acre (2,000 m²) sand-bottom lake which featured a tire swing, boom swing, rope climb, and T-bar drop.
- Slippery Slide Falls, two water slides that emptied into Upstream Plunge, a 330,000 US gallon (1,250 m³) clear-water pool.
- White Water Rapids, a 330 foot (100 m) long inner tube river.
- Cypress Point Nature Trail, a trail among trees beside Bay Lake.
- Indian Springs, A very small splash zone with fountains spraying kids. This area mainly attracted guest under age 8.
- Barrel Bridge, A bumpy bridge with barrels under it. Similar to the one at Tom Sawyer Island.
- Kiddie Cove, A kids zone with two large water slides and a cove. This area was targeted toward preteens.
Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
Category: Theme Park